If you had performed due diligence before purchasing your hot tub, then, you must have discovered that some hot tubs came with covers, while some had no covers.
If for some reasons, you bought the tub without a cover, then, have no fear.
What if I tell you that you can still purchase the right cover for your hot tub without burning your pockets in doing so, will you believe me?
Well, that’s what I will be covering in this article.
What are the advantages of using the right hot tub covers?
With the right hot tub cover, your tub
- is protected from all kinds of debris, rain, winds, bugs and direct sun With this protection comes durability for your cover
- lowers your heating bill. Here’s how. When you are not using your hot tub and it is uncovered, more heat is lost from it. This heat is significantly reduced when you cover your tub when it is not in use
- protects your kids in case of accidental falls
Aside from the above advantages, you can decide to buy a tub for the following reasons;
- This point won’t be related to inflatable hot tubs, but it’s nice to point it out. Sitting on a top of the tub. There are times when you just want to be near the tub and not inside of it. A tub cover provides the right platform for this. If the cover is strong enough as it should be, then you can sit on it for a few minutes.
- Tub covers add some gloss to the tub itself. So if you like the elegance that tub covers add to hot tubs, then by all means go for it.
The following are the measures you need to consider before buying that tub cover
- The right material. This means that if your tub is made of vinyl, then, your tub cover should also be made of the same material – in this case vinyl. If the material for each differs, there is the chance that the tub might crack earlier than usual which means more expense on your side if such happens
- Complete covers. Ensure that the cover you tend to buy is exactly or slightly larger than the tub itself. This is to ensure that the purpose of buying the cover (protection, safety and reduction of heating bill) is not defeated. If you are concerned as to how to obtain the right dimensions for your tub, don’t be. Most of manufacturers and marketers provide videos and or other forms of tutorial on how you can effectively measure the dimensions of your tub so that you can buy the right tub cover for it.
- Compare rating value (R-value). A rating value simply means how well the cover is going to reduce amount of heat loss from the tub when it is not in use. Needless to say, the higher this R-value, the lower the rate of heat loss from your tub when you are not using it. This value is always on all tub overs. Check it before buying that tub cover
Of course, after purchase and installation, your cover is bound to suffer from rumple and water logging (sometimes molding) with use.
With water logging and or molding, comes increased debris which can also lead to less longevity for your tub.
With rumple comes increase in the amount of heat loss from the tub without use and which means increase on your heating bill.
To reduce the effect of any these, detach the cover from the tub every 2 to 3 months to drain out any water that might be trapped in there.
If despite these preventive measures, you are still experiencing water logging and or rumpling, then, it is advisable that you look in to buying a new tub cover.
My advice is that you do not go for the cheapest when trying to buy your tub cover. If you do, then, your tub will not last as it ought to.
In conclusion, ensure that
- the make-up of the tub and tub cover are the same,
- the cover completely covers the tub and
- you buy the cover with the highest R-rating
Then, you can be rest assured of buying the right tub cover with confidence.